Deer observation from the Dreiborn plateau
The red deer observation deck near Dreiborn promises an unforgettable spectacle of nature for children and adults alike. The red deer stag is on the look out for a doe in the autumn months, especially in September and October. The impressive rutting of the stag can be heard kilometres away and during rutting season you have a good chance of seeing the stags with their magnificent antlers. Life size models give you an idea of the imposing size of these animals: red deer are central Europes largest free-ranging wildlife. Rangers of the Eifel National Park are available to provide expert information on the observation deck during the entire mating season. Bring binoculars, a cushion, and warm clothing, and you are well equipped.
The observation deck is not only worth a visit during mating season. With a little luck you can see red deer year round at the Dreiborn plateau.
Special rules apply for visitors of the observation deck so the animals don’t get disturbed or frightened. If you adhere to the following rules, you allow yourself and other visitors the possibility to witness an extraordinary spectacle of nature!
Rules for gallery visitors
- please be quiet on your way to and on the observation deck
- Wear dark and quiet clothing
- Dogs are not allowed on the deck (with the exception of assistance dogs)
- Avoid sudden movements on the benches
- Do not lean into the window and do not enter the area in front of the deck
- Do not use artificial lights
- If possible, keep your face in the shadow of your head gear
- No food or drinks on the deck
- Leave the observation deck quietly
- The observation deck is barrier free but due to the steep entry, we recommend that the person requiring a wheelchair is accompanied by a friend or family member.
- During the rutting season, visually impaired visitors have access to information provided in Braille lettering and have the possibility to touch certain objects. Please speak to the ranger on site about that. To give a better idea of the sizes of the red deer, roe deer, and the wild boar, silhouettes of the animals are on display on the observation deck and can be touched.
For arrival by bus, please use the bus stop “Dreiborn Kirche (church), Schleiden”.
For arrival by car, please use the parking lot “Rothirsch-Empore”, directly front of the observation deck. Alternatively, you can use the parking lot “Burg Dreiborn” near the entrance to the town or the parking lot “Dreiborner Hochfläche” located in the south west. This parking lot is located about 1.2km from the observation deck.