Near the Stotzheim forest are the ruins of the moated castle grounds of Hardtburg. The remains of the keep, the bailey and the surrounding walls of the fortified medieval fortress can still be seen today, because their characteristics have remained unchanged through further construction.
In 1166 the Hardtburg was first documented. While the centre of the castle was already in ruins in the 18th century, the bailey remained well intact. The earlier main castle with its tower can only be viewed during the winter months, as it is the home of nesting birds in the spring and summer.
In the idyllic area of the Hardt forest, surrounded by castle ponds, the Hardtburg castle was already a tourist attraction in the previous century. Today the natural conservation area around the castle is a recreational area with hiking car parks, shelters, horse riding and circular trails. The Roman Canal Hiking trail goes directly past the Hardtburg castle.