How to get to the Eifel
The Eifel has good travel connections, being less than an hours’ drive by car from the large cities on the Rhine and Aachen.
By railway …
- From Cologne or Trier to Weilerswist, Euskirchen, Mechernich, Kall, Nettersheim, Blankenheim -Wald, Schmidtheim and Dahlem
- From Bonn to Euskirchen and Bad Münstereifel
- From Düren via Zülpich to Euskirchen (Plains Railway)
- From Düren via Jülich to Heimbach (Rur Valley Railway)
By the way
From Whitsun to the end of October you can get to Gemünd, Schleiden and Hellenthal from Kall railway station with the Olef Valley Railway on Sundays (historical railcar) www.oleftalbahn.eu
Cycle and Hike Railway Stations
In the North Eifel 19 railway stations and halting stations were re-designed to become Cycle and Hike Railway Stations. These railway stations allow an easy way to connect to the cycle and hike trail network. In addition you can find touristic information there. www.radundwanderbahnhoefe-eifel.de
As a guest of participating accommodation businesses you will receive a free guest pass for the duration of your stay. This enables you to use it in the entire region, and in addition use the ÖPNV; the bus and railway service of the Rhein-Sieg Public Transport Company (VRS) and the Aachen Public Transport Company (AVV). If you book your stay early you can already receive your pass beforehand and use the pass for your arrival with the VRS and AVV, and for example the local trains from the National German Railway Company (DB). www.erlebnisregion.de.
By car from …
- Cologne on the A1: exit Weilerswist, Euskirchen/Zülpich, Euskirchen-Wißkirchen, Bad Münstereifel/Mechernich, Nettersheim, Blankenheim
- Koblenz/Mönchengladbach on the A61: exits Weilerswist, Euskirchen
- Aachen on the B258/B266 in the direction of Monschau
- Trier on the B51/B265 in the direction of Bitburg, Prüm,
- Cologne on the B477
- Bonn on the B56
By Bus …
- From Kall to the stages and between stops of the Eifelsteig in the North Eifel using the Eifelsteig Hiking Bus
- From Schmidtheim via Kronenburg-Weißer Stein-Hollerath to Hellenthal with the Eifel Cycle and Hike Bus
- From Düren via Zülpich to Euskirchen
- From Kall via Gemünd to Vogelsang IP (National Park Shuttle)
- From Kall via Gemünd and Schleiden to Hellenthal (Line 829)
- From Aachen via Simmerath to Vogelsang
- From Düren via Heimbach to Gemünd (Line 231)
- Within the district of Euskirchen with buses of the Cologne Regional Transport Company GmbH (RVK)
- Within the town of Euskirchen with buses of the Euskirchen Town Transport Company GmbH (SVE)
- With the CityBus (Line 772) from the centre of Bad Münstereifel to the surrounding communities
- With theTaxiBusPlus (Line 773) from Mechernich railway station to the Kommern LVR Open Air Heritage Museum
- Within the municipality of Zülpich with the CityBus (Line 774) from Zülpich train station to the Zülpich Roman Thermals and the Zülpich Lake Park
- With the TaxiBusPlus and AnrufSammelTaxi (AST)in the whole district of Euskirchen
There are connections available from the railway stations and bus stops in the region. The TaxiBusPlus and the Anruf-Sammel-Taxi (AST) are an extension of the regular bus service.
With the TaxiBusPlus …
The TaxiBusPlus drives like a normal bus on the bus routes and uses the regular bus stops. However please note that the TaxiBusPlus is only available on call; it must be booked by telephone- 02441 99454545 at least 30 minutes before departure.
Of course you can phone earlier or book several journeys. Depending on how many passengers book a taxi, minibus or regular bus will arrive at the bus stop and take you to your destination. Groups of more than 5 are requested to book three days in advance. There is a surcharge for the use of a TaxiBusPlus.
With the Anruf-Sammel-Taxi (AST)
The Anruf-Sammel-Taxi (AST) is an extension of the regular bus service in the municipality of Euskirchen, especially in the late evening and at the weekends. During the day the AST covers the smaller communities where the regular bus service doesn’t run.
There are permanent bus stops for the AST. They are either regular bus stops, signposted as AST stops or additional stops, which have been erected in the communities. You can choose your own destination within the radius individually. There is a surcharge for the use of the AST.
The AST journey must be booked at least 60 minutes before departure time by calling 02251 1414123.
General timetable information
The clever number for bus and train: 0180 6131313
(20 cents per call from landlines, Mobile max. 60 cents per call)