The romantically situated Wildenburg castle near Hellenthal is the only untouched Hilltop castle in the District of Euskirchen. In the 12th century the castle was built by the Reifferscheid people. After this time, it was in the possession of the Lords of Palandt from 1414 to 1639, then the Steinfeld Monastery bought it in the 18th century. The monks re-built the castle to its present form and built a priory. In 1802 church estates were confiscated by order of the French government and the monks from the monasteries were expelled. This fate was shared by the Steinfeld abbey and the Priory of Wildburg.
Today the Wildenburg castle is used as a meeting, recreation and education centre. It is located directly on the Castles route.